Ir-Ramla il-Hamra Overview in Xaghra, Gozo
Ir-Ramla il-Hamra (easily accessible by car through Nadur or Xaghra) is the largest, the best and still the most unspoilt haven of the island of Gozo. The whole beach is a spread of red sand. The sea is shallow and perfect for children, except on windy days. On the right seaward, a path leads up to Taht l-Irdum where the water is deeper.
Apart from being a beautiful beach, Ramla l-Hamra is also a historic site. The Romans built a villa richly decorated with marble and stucco. So sophisticated was this building that it boasted its own hot bath supplied with water from a nearby spring, channelled to the villa. These Roman ruins now lie re-buried beneath the red sand.
The Knights of St. John fortified Ramla l-Hamra against enemy intrusion. They constructed Vendome battery, which today is inconspicuous and in 1715, even went so far as to construct a submerged wall to deter marauding pirates from landing on the beach. High up on the cliff facing the sea, the Knights dug a Fougasse, a hole into which explosive material was pressed and fired at the invaders.
Today Ramla l-Hamra displays nothing of these disturbances. In the summer months it is popular with swimmers, sun worshipers and idlers sitting around tables beneath sun umbrellas at a kiosk, sipping cool drinks and nibbling snacks. During winter months Ramla l-Hamra affords pleasant peaceful walks. A statue dedicated to Our Lady of Hope, stands vigil in the middle of the beach.
Ir-Ramla il-Hamra Tips & Guide