Qala

Qala

Qala is the easternmost village of Gozo and it’s name means “sheltered harbour”.

The Rabat – Qala road, just before a lane on the left leading to the village of Ghajnsielem, passes over a Neolithic settlement known as Tal-Qighan an l-Imrejzbiet.  There are several megaliths of considerable sizes still in place.

Also of interest at Ras il-Qala, there is a defensive battery constructed by the Knights of St. John.

In Qala, in Triq il-Wileg, there is a windmill with sails and equipment and another windmill close by is found in Triq TacGrunju.  The main street passes through the village square and on towards the bays of iz-Zriezaq and Hondoq ir-Rummien.

On the way to these two bays one finds the Sanctuary of the Immaculate conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.  The church houses one of the best paintings in Gozo, an oil on canvas of the conception by Federico Barocci di Urbino.  People use to flock to the chapel seeking divine intercession and the walls of the chapel were once covered with ex-voto paintings donated by those who were healed.  This chapel is one of the oldest in Gozo.  The parish church of Qala is dedicated to St. Joseph and was built between 1882 and 1889, in the baroque style, a style much favoured in the 17th and the latter half of the 20th century.


Town Map

Go To Top
Visit the newly launched Gateway School of English WebsiteEnglish Malta GSE