Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception and Oratory of our Lady of Sorrow Overview in Bormla, Malta
The collegiate church of the Immaculate Conception is the chief monumental building in Cospicua. It miraculously escaped the World War II bombing which destroyed most of the town. It is rich in treasure and houses an exquisite work of art - the painting behind the high altar of Madonna and Child, by the 17th century painter Polidoro Veneziano of Abruzzo. The first church on the site dates back to 1584. This was enlarged in 1637 and again in later year until it was finally completed and consecrated in 1732. Pope Pius VII conferred Collegiate status on the church in 1828. It is said that the statue of the Immaculate Conception dates from 1689 and that it was sculpted in wood by Sr. Maria De Domenicis, a Carmelite nun.
The old church Del Soccorso (Of Perpetual Help) was built before the Great Siege of 1565 when it was customary to retain within it the Holy Eucharist notwithstanding that it was not yet a parish church. On the 6th December 1581 a confraternity dedicated to the Immaculate Conception was founded in this church. ln 1602, when this church had been already functioning as a parish church for some fifteen years, its titular was described as the Immaculate Conception of Perpetual Help. In 1621, its altar piece, portraying the crowning our Our Lady, was surrounded by various scenes from Her life and Christ's life. From the last decades of the 17th century, Her feast was held with solemnity. This parish church underwent various structural modifications particularly between 1680 and 1730. On the 22nd April 1755, Bishop Paul Alpheran de Bussan approved a sodality of priests at Bormla's parish church which he also dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. It was further elevated to the dignity of a collegiate church in 1822. A new altar piece provided during the 19th century, was crowned by Cardinal Ferrata on the 25th June 1905 on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the promulgation of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin. Dedication date: 25th May, 1732.
Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception and Oratory of our Lady of Sorrow Tips & Guide
Opening hours: mornings and afternoons during religious services
Contact information: Rev Archpriest. 00356 2182 8413