St Margerita’s Monastery Overview in Bormla, Malta
Chapel in the monastery which was built as an orphanage in 1726 by two priests, aided by a lady who with some of her friends took care of the orphanage. The women later took the habit of the second order of Carmelites and in 1739 seventeen nuns made their religious profession before Bishop Alpheran de Bussan. The church was built in 1739 and dedicated on the 28th Oct 1787.
The small church of St. Margaret belongs to the cloistered Discalced Carmelite Nuns and is the only one in Malta belonging to this reformed Order. The monastery was founded in 1726 by Rev. Pietro Saliba, following whose death Grand Master Manoel de Vilhena continued to fund the project. With an elegant portico at the front, the church has a simple plan, with three altars and a barrel-vaulted ribbed ceiling. The main altarpiece, the work of Francesco Zahra, shows Our Lady of Mount Carmel, together with St. John of the Cross, St. Theresa of Avila and St. Margaret, the early Christian martyr from Antioch. The altarpiece on the left, also by Zahra, depicts St. Francis Xavier, and the two lateral paintings show respectively St. Joseph and St. Francis of Paola. Not far from the church of St. Margaret is the Conservatory Chapel,that formerly formed part of the Conservatorio San Giuseppe, which has recently been renovated and is now used as a Home for the Elderly. The Conservatory used to be run by the Sisters of the Congregation of St. Joseph of the Apparition, which was established in Malta following a visit to the island by the foundress, St. Emily de Vialar. The chapel, which is dedicated to St. Joseph, has an oval dome and the main altarpiece was executed by Sebastiano Conca, a highly-acclaimed Neapolitan artist. Two other paintings depict Our Lady of Sorrows (a copy after Guercino) and the Assumption of Mary, which is attributed to Rocco Buhagiar.
St Margerita’s Monastery Tips & Guide
Opening hours: contact Prioress Nun – 00356 2182 0558
|Opening Hours:||00:00 - 00:00|